The Vital Nutrients facility is a temperature controlled building that utilizes individual automatically
timed thermostats throughout the building. This thermostat maintains optimal temperatures for
product quality, saves energy each day, and reduces our carbon footprint.
Three years ago Vital Nutrients installed a new lighting system which saved 57,191 kWh. This savings is equivalent to
260,706 pounds of coal not burned, or 33,519 gallons of oil not burned, or 60 homes provided with
electricity each year. In addition, the project eliminated the following environmental emissions: 1,030
pounds of sulfur oxide, 274 pounds of nitrogen oxides, and 557,910 pounds of carbon dioxides.
Here are a few of the other ways we have reduced our company's carbon footprint:
- Indoor and outdoor lighting is motion-controlled which also helps reduce energy consumption.
- Use plastic instead of glass for all of our temperature stable products.
- Plastic uses less energy than glass to manufacture and recycle.
- Our plastic bottles are easily recycled.
- Plastic weighs less, reducing transportation fuel.
- We minimize the plastic content by using the smallest size bottles for each product.
- Plastic requires significantly less packaging materials for shipping.
- Our research found optimum density plastic bottles that use the lowest amount of plastic while
protecting our products.
- Our entire supplement containers are recyclable.
- We used sustainably harvested raw materials whenever possible.
- We request recyclable inbound containers from our vendors.
- Our shipping department uses only recyclable boxes and packing paper, and biodegradable packaging.
- Our catalogs are printed on FSC certified paper.
- Wind power is exclusively used by our printing company.
- We offer CD catalogs to reduce paper.
- Our new comprehensive website helps to reduce paper and forms.
- We are continually going paperless and have invested in several electronic documentation systems.
- Our policy is to print on both sides of paper and to print in economy mode to save ink and ink cartridges.
- We use pressure washing devices to converse water.
- Our internal recycling program includes: paper, cardboard, printer cartridges, batteries, glass, plastics,
cans, and electronics.
- We use the following awareness message on all electronic mail:
- Environmentally friendly flooring was used in all the office areas of our new facility.
- We purchase office supplies made from recycled materials whenever possible.
- Our invoice and inventory system is entirely paperless.